Saturday, February 27, 2010

DIY : Hair Coloring in 10 Steps with Wella Koleston 8/74

(I didn't want to put the picture of the ugly roots on top to scare you off) :P

After thinking a lot about it and researching around in youtube and google ( my two trustworthy friends) I decided to touch up my dark roots, by myself.



Last time I did it was 2 months ago at the hairdresser's, so it was about time. I also wanted to avoid paying 50 euros, since I'd have to refresh the colour and dye all my hair, from roots to ends. The colour I have since summer is Wella Koleston 7/73 and this time I decided to go with 8/74 which turns out it's exactly the same colour, called "Light blonde, chocolate red". It's practically all in one, but I'm very happy with it, since what I was rooting for from the very beginning was a light red, almost ginger, which compliments my light skin. How lucky are the people with that haircolour,I love it so much! Also, Koleston gives an amazing shine to the hair and doesn't fade easily.






What I used and what you'll need :
  • 2 bottles of hair dye (1 for the roots, 1 for the rest of the hair) 5,50 eu each
  • 2 bottles of oxide 20 (other brands have it inside the box, but for Koleston I had to buy it seperately) 0,60 eu each
  • 1 pair of plastic gloves
  • 1 plastic bowl 1,20 eu
  • 1 brush applicator 1,90 eu
  • 1 plastic bag
  • vaseline
  • hair brush
Total cost = 15,3 eu



Steps :

1. Wear an old tshirt
2. Detangle your hair.


3. Apply vaseline on the skin under the hairline and on your ears. This will help you remove the dye on your skin easily.
4. Put your gloves on.
5. Mix the dye with the oxide well using the brush, in the bowl.
6. Divide your hair into two sections and start applying to your roots. The video I found the most helpful was that. Start with the roots like I did, if you want them to be lighter. Start with the ends if you want them to be lighter and the roots darker for a more natural look ( I think!). After you cover the whole head, massage the roots and make a bun on top of your head with all the hair.
7. Put the plastic bag on your head and tie it. This will shield the heat and help the dye (so I've heard)
8. Wait for 45 minutes watching tv, blogging etc. I cooked. :)
9. Take the bag off (of course), wet your hair in the shower and start massaging it till it foams. Then wash it until the water comes clean. Do not use shampoo, it's better to wait one day before you do, so the dye can settle. What you can do, is use conditioner.
10. You are done basically. It only took me an hour, it was easier than I thought, plus I felt proud for doing it myself.

(All done, looking neat again)

For those who want to do it but are hesitating, I say go for it! In the worst case scenario, you can darken your hair again.

I hope I helped, I just gathered all the info I found around for the best result. Upcoming post will be about DIY professional manicure! We'll come out of the ressesion looking pretty girls!! :D

21 comments:

Dorothy said...

It looks great! I smiled when I read the name of the hair dye: "Σοκολατοκόκκινο" reminded me of "μπορντoροδοκόκκινο"! :p
Have a nice Sunday!

Unknown said...

very informative post! so cheap! and the results look fabulous!

Unknown said...

Well done! Your hair looks great. I used to dye my own hair but one time I wanted to go a bit lighter and I got a blonde with purple highlights!!! Scary! So I'm trusting my boyfriend's father now who is a very experienced colourist (hairdresser who only dyes hair). Blonde is a tricky colour to do on your own unfortunately!

anastasia said...

se thavmazo pou to tolmises!!! prepei na tolmame pio pollu mpas kai rixoun tis times ta kommotiria nomizo! Polu oraio xroma!!!

natalie said...

I dye my hair at home too, it's definitely more economical! Great colour and great post!

ShoppingTherapy said...

great color!
i used to dye my hair at home but then i found a hairdresser that is both good at her work and inexpensive, so i visit her once a month

daisychain said...

you did a fantastic job, this is such a great post.

Elena said...

Well done my dear! The colour looks amazing. I would never have guessed that you did it on your own!

Alecca Rox said...

the result is totally pro! these diy posts are so much fun. I haven't coloured my hair in years, but as a student I was constantly on personal ressesion and I used to do this all the time. Looking forward to the manicure tutorial:)

justaddaccessory said...

sou paei poli...oraio xrwma :-)

T the Beauty Queen said...

oraio xroma, alla kaka ta psemata to komotirio den to allazo me tpt

Mairyliscious said...

ta mallia sou einai toso omorfa!

Tina A. said...

Great result Mariettaki!
Ki egw otan ta eixa kastana, ta ekana monh mou spiti, dystyxws twra me tis antaygeies, einai aparaithth mia epaggelmatias..!
Pantws oi Koleston einai poly kales (kai oikonomikes), me Koleston mou kanoun tis antaygeies! ;)

xxx

Anonymous said...

This is a great post, thanks so much for writing it! Can I just ask, what colour is your natural colour, exactly how dark as it's hard to tell on the computer screen. Thanks x

Marietta said...

@Jen : I'm glad it was helpful! ^_^ My natural colour is dark brown, and I was surprised to find out that the colour turns out exactly how it says on the box!I always thought I'd need to bleach my hair first cause they're so dark!
Hope that helps.xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks honey. Another question! My hair is naturally dark like yours so would go your colour if I used the 8/74. But I already had a colour on it, which I stripped off today using 'Colour B4' (have you heard of it?) Any way, it's left my hair a dark blonde, light brown canvas now, so if I used the 8/74, should it still work ok? x

Marietta said...

I heard about products like this but haven't used them before. But since it removes the hair dye (or most of it), then it should be ok. The colour definitely will be very close to that, maybe a bit lighter maybe a bit darker. So I wouldn't worry. Hope it all turns out ok, let me know how it looks! :)

Anonymous said...

I have yet another question. Hope you don't mind! What % is the Oxide 20? I couldn't find that exact brand over here in the UK. There seems to be 3 strengths of peroxide available, 6%, 9% and 12%. Thank you! x

Marietta said...

A bit of googling but finally found it! I used oxycream 20 vol which is equal to 6%.
3%=10vol
6%=20vol
9%=30vol
12%=40vol
As for the size, I used the one you see one the picture which is smaller than the box, and I think it might be the medium from the oxycreme range. Last time I used an even smaller bottle and the result was the same so I don't think it will be a problem.
And no, of course I don't mind! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh great! 6% is what I had delivered today, it's a Clairol Professional one, but they're all basically the same I should imagine! By the way, are you on Facebook? x

Natalie said...

Beautiful colour! I'm using Londa Professional, but I want to try Wella because it has my favourite shade so I won't need to mix several shades. Well, it's an interesting process but pretty expensive :)
I have a question about your natural hair colour. Is it dark? My hair is about level 7 and I'm thinking of oxycream 10vol but I'm not sure.